I had to meet Dan at our house (we're not living there any more) to meet a carpet salesman today and the place was a hive of activity.
Lucinda and I sought refuge from the crowds of tradies on the upstairs deck, but I did duck around and take a few photos.
As you can see, there's still a fair way to go until the work's done and we can rent the place out, but progress is being made.
Lucinda found it all hilarious.
I just want it to be done so Dan's around on the weekends again.
Between this place and Karra'd Away, it's now been more than a year since he's NOT been away most weekends.
The end is in sight though, or so he assures me.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
I ummed and ahhed about whether to stop into the local Lifeline Superstore on my way home today.
Lucinda was getting tired and I was keen to get home, but I decided a quick browse might be OK.
I'm so glad I did. This dollhouse was up the back of the shop, along with another even larger one which I left there for someone with a bigger house than ours...
It's handmade and was for sale for $49.
A good clean and a few nails and it'll be looking miles better already, but I do plan to paint it eventually.
Good thing Lucinda's still a fair way off appreciating it - gives me plenty of time to bring it to life for her!
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
I've been sewing a lot in the evenings recently, particularly now I have a little lady to make things for.
In fact, she's wearing pants and a top I made for her in this photo.
I have so many gorgeous fat quarters that I buy and never use, so I decided to make a few pairs of simple baby pants from them.
You can easily make these pants from two fat quarters, depending on whether you grade it up or down.
I dug out my copy of Simple Sewing for Babies by Lotta Jansdotter*.
There is a pattern for simple baby pants in there but they were miles too big for Lu, who is just moving from a size 000 to a size 00. So, I took a pair of her 00 pants and measured the outside leg from waistband to ankle.
I measured the outside pattern leg and worked out that Lu's pants were 70 percent the size of the pattern on that seam. I then worked out 70 percent of all the other seams, which is why some of the measurements below are a little niggly (11.5 centimetres, for example)
And I came up with my own pattern:
You can see the dimensions on the pattern above. With the leg and crotch area, I just measured the two straight sections and drew a curve between them.
From there, I cut two pieces on the fold and stitched the sides, with a 1.5cm seam allowance (included in the pattern above).
They were so quick and easy to make. I think, including re-drafting the pattern, this took me less than two hours.
She has several pairs now.