Thursday, January 6, 2011

Christmas Day

This is my mother's block of land, down on Bruny Island - off the coast of Tasmania. We spent a couple of nights here, as well as Christmas Day. She plans to build a cabin here sometime, but in the meantime she just stays in this little caravan when she comes to visit.

Tassie6

Dan, my brothers, and I all stayed nearby in a rented cabin but traveled up to the block for Christmas Day.

Tassie4

The original plan had been to cook a turkey in the fire, but after hearing something on salmonella or e-coli or some other strain of food poisoning that comes from cooking meat too slowly, I requested we use the stove in the rented cabin instead. This turned out to be a good thing, because the fire just didn't want to burn.


Tassie3

That meant it wasn't such a drama when Mum's new dog, Chloe, went and stood in it.

Tassie2

After lunch, we went for a walk down to the lagoon. But, being full of cheese and beer (and, it being Christmas and all), we all opted for a ride home on James's ute instead of walking back up the hill.

Tassie1

Tassie8

The sun came out sporadically through the day. In true Tassie fashion, we went back to our cabin that evening partly frozen, windburned and horribly sunburned.

Tassie5

That, in a nutshell, is a photographic record of my Christmas Day.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun and yes, a typical Tassie weather day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that so doesn't look like a Christmas day I'm used. Looks like you had great fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a chilled out way to celebrate Christmas.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The block looks a bit bleak ! some people might wonder why I will put a cabin on it one day - but it can be gorgeous in the settled sunny weather - which is quite rare ! I enjoyed having all the immedite family "captured" close at hand ! Macam -

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Mum, I think your computer is still logged into my blogger account! You've left a comment as me. Anyway, I don't think it looks bleak - although some do look a little overcast. But such is the weather...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edwina and Edwina's Mum- looks like great christmas, can't wait til you look pregnant Edwina! xx

    ReplyDelete

☟ Leave me some love here ☟

LinkWithin