Monday, September 26, 2011

How I Got A Free Overlocker

I've wanted an overlocker for the longest time, but DAMN they're expensive for something you're not using all the time.

The entry level ones are about $600 and up. I started sewing on an 'entry level' sewing machine and learned pretty quickly that entry level was code for cheap, nasty and ultimately extremely frustrating.

A while ago I joined Freecycle. If you haven't looked into it, basically, it's a global club where you can get rid of stuff you don't want any more and pick up stuff other people don't want.

You join a local branch, get put on their email list and you're away.

It's really handy for things that aren't worth the trouble of putting on Ebay but you don't want to see going to landfill.

One of the best things is being able to put out a 'wanted' call. I did just that and am now the proud owner of an old but very sturdy, professional-standard Baby Lock overlocker.

Overlocker-2

It runs like a dream!

It's just come back from a full service which was a bit of an outlay, but it's still a fraction of what I would have paid for even that entry level one new.

Now, I'm going to give away a heap more stuff I don't need and build up my Freecycle karma in case I need something else major down the track.

3 comments:

  1. What a great concept! There is so much stuff out there that people no longer use, so how cool you can give it to someone who needs it.

    Happy sewing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! That machine will go forever. I have a crappy overlocker who's tension is always out. I'd get it serviced but it's beyond my budget. Bit of a bummer. Have fun sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my overlocker. Use it all the time! Luckily I didn't have to pay for it. My ex mother in law bought it for me as a 'thanks for moving my grandkids to qld' prezzy!

    ReplyDelete

☟ Leave me some love here ☟

LinkWithin