Saturday, April 17, 2010

Problems and plants

I'm back from a day at Karra, having achieved a few things (planting, mainly - and some photos for a sign that's going out the front) and uncovered a scarily long list of new problems.

Termites, would be one. I lifted up a corner of the carpet and there they were, scuttling through their tunnels in the plywood. Luckily, the damage to the floor doesn't SEEM to be to severe yet but, really, who knows? Dan's going to have a closer look next weekend.

Photobucket

You can also see some evidence of them in the timber base that holds up the water tank.

Photobucket

Next problem: The power is not working. The lights are, but nothing else - no appliances, no power points, no nothing. I really have no idea why. Flicking the switches in the meter box a few times did nothing, which left me all out of ideas.

Unfortunately, the hot water system is not only not working (see power issue above), but is also leaking water under the house. It's leaking quite a lot of water actually, which makes this problem kind of serious too.

So, in a nutshell, we need a plumber and an electrician urgently, we need to spray for termites and I need a stiff drink.

On the plus side, I did get a few new plants in the ground. That's rosemary in the corner and the little guys are basil and mint. Will they still be alive next time I go over there? Beats me. With my track record it's highly unlikely.

Photobucket

I planted this bougainvillea next to the driveway, where hopefully it will creep up this tree and provide a bit of colour. I know it's damn near impossible to kill bougainvillea, which makes this my kinda plant.

Photobucket

We're hoping to have a party at Karra next weekend, which means finding an island plumber and electrician this week... Better get cracking.

1 comment:

  1. oooh termites, how nasty for you! hope they're not too heavily through the house! good luck with the other problems you just found. i hope they turn out to be minor.
    Thanks for the heads-up about the film I was trying to think of on Katrina Chambers' blog, it was eating at me today, I couldn't get it out of my head wondering which film it was!!!

    ReplyDelete

☟ Leave me some love here ☟

LinkWithin